Being able to save time and money grocery shopping is just about every Mom's dream! Not only are we preparing meals, but we are also responsible to feed our family good, sustainable foods that won't break the bank! For some, that sentence may seem as though it contradicts itself - but it is indeed possible!
Grocery shopping can definitely be a stressful task if not handled the correct way. After days and weeks of grocery shopping and preparing meals for my family, I have found some very key things that have helped me save time and money grocery shopping for my home. I promise you're gonna love these!
1. MEAL PLAN
Okay mamas, this here is your bread and butter. If you do not meal plan, things are going to be twice as hard for you. Here are some of the reasons why I recommend meal planning:
- You'll know exactly what you're preparing for dinner ahead of time.
- You're less likely to eat out because a meal is already planned for that day.
- You can see clearly what type of diet your family is consuming and what item you need more/less of in your overall diet
- Your family will get to experience a variety of tasty meals!
So how exactly do you meal plan? Here is my suggestion:
- List out 14 of your family's favorite meals and rotate them every 2 weeks.
- For breakfast, I stick to basic items such as waffles, oatmeal, eggs, smoothies and muffins.
- Snack items are also consistent as well as drinks.
- If you're feeling adventurous try a new meal every month! (because Pinterest is life)
Take a sheet of paper or even make a note on your phone of all the meals you're going to have for either the week or the next two weeks. Mama, you are on your way!
2. SHOP YOUR PANTRY
Before you list out 5 new recipes from Pinterest, shop your pantry! See what meats, veggies and canned goods you already have in your storage that you can implement in the meals for the upcoming week. By doing this, food won't expire and you'll have a head start on grocery shopping. You'll have to spend less money on buying a huge haul of food!
3. ORDER YOUR GROCERIES ONLINE
Did you know that depending on where you're located, your local grocery store will allow you to order your groceries online and pickup in store? That's right! I shop at Kroger and at Kroger they have a program called "Clicklist" that allows you to shop for your groceries online. But that's not the best part!
The best part is that when you go to pick up your groceries, they actually load the groceries in your car! No lugging babies out the car, no tantrums in the aisles, bypass all of the, "Mommy, can I have..." and just peacefully wait in your car for your Clicklist associate to bring you your groceries! Seriously every moms dream! Kroger allows your first 3 orders to be free, but after your first 3 orders the fee is $4.95.
I use this service faithfully every 2 weeks and I love it! The produce that they pick is also very fresh as well as the meats. By using this service you can also easily track how much you're spending and the things you'll need to put back to make sure you're staying on track with your numbers! Why? Because family budgeting is super important!
Try these methods next time you're planning your grocery shopping trip and let me know if they work for you!