If you're like me, you grew up in a house where Saturday mornings were the day to get all of the house cleaning done! Mom would open up all the windows, put some music on and we'd get scrubbing! We'd go through the bathrooms, kitchen, change out the bed linens, etc. We always had two particular cleaners that we could depend on to get the stains out - and that was, Comet and Pine-Sol Cleaners.
These cleaners were our go to for everything! From mopping the floors to getting out those tough stains in the bath tub. Comet Cleaner and Pine-Sol always did the job for us and left that "clean" smell that my Mom always looked for when she assigned a task to us. Haha.
However, there were things that no one told us about cleaning with comet cleaner and pine-sol. Though we knew their cleaning power, we didn't realize exactly how much of a mark it was leaving on our home and health.
Before I was pregnant with Judah, I was already on my transition into using natural cleaners. I learned a lot from one of my all time favorite bloggers Kristen Marr of Live Simply. To be honest, at the time I only wanted to transition to homemade cleaners, because I knew it would help me to save money. I didn't really look at the benefits it could have to my environment and health.
As I began to take into consideration my overall health and the health of my family, I not only began focusing on the types of foods we were consuming, but also the products we would use on a daily basis to clean our home. When I discovered the active ingredients inside Comet Cleaner, Pine-Sol and other big brand name cleaners, I instantly stopped using them and transitioned to natural cleaners.
The Truth About Comet Cleaner and Pine-Sol Cleaners
Do you ever notice how when you go to clean with these cleaners, often times the smell is too strong to actually breathe in and you have to open all of your windows or leave the room? This is not normal! Lol. Cleaners are not supposed to make you gag, cause your eyes to burn, or make it hard for you to breathe. Here is some of the information I found regarding Comet Cleaner and Pine-Sol via the Environmental Working Group.
- Comet Cleaner and Pine-Sol are known to contain ingredients that can cause asthma/respiratory issues and environment issues. Adding to this, it can also cause/add to skin allergies and possible cancer. (source)
- Both Comet Cleaner and Pine-Sol receive a "D grade" from the EWG (Environmental Working Group). The "D Grade" means they rate it as being of high concern and likely hazardous to health or the environment. They may also have poor ingredient disclosure.
- Pine-Sol contains cleaning agents that score an "F grade" from the EWG. These cleaning agents are known to cause cancer and reproductive effects. (source)
- Neither one of these cleaners are recommended to be used around children. (based on the ingredient list, I can see why!)
The above list are just a few things that I found through the Environment Working Group. However, if you're looking for information, feel free to look around. There is a ton of information and research about these products and toxic cleaners.
Alternative Cleaning Products
As a keeper of your home, you want to make sure that you're creating a safe place for your family. Cultivating a safe place also looks like being mindful of the different chemicals you use on a daily basis. Whether we realize it or not, cleaners contain chemical agents that do leave a lasting mark on our homes.
Below I've curated a list of natural cleaners I use in my home as well as some others that are known to not only pack as much power as Comet and Pine-Sol, but also are safe for use around your family and children!
All-Purpose Cleaner from Method ($3)| Pure-Castile Soap from Dr. Bronner's ($10) | Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner by Mrs. Meyers ($4) | Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner by Dr. Bronner's ($13) | Pure Baking Soda from Arm & Hammer ($3) | Cleaning Vinegar by Four Monks ($3)
Now to the fun stuff. I thought it would be fun to do a little giveway to help kickstart your journey to using non-toxic cleaners! I really love using Mrs. Meyers cleaners. Not only because of the amount of power these cleaners pack, but also the sweet aroma that they leave in your home! I can't wait for you to try these out if you haven't already! If you win, you'll be receiving the Mrs. Meyers Basil Scent Hand Soap, Dish Soap, and Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner.
Here's How To Enter:
- Follow me on Instagram @dominiquebradberry.
- Tag a friend on my Instagram post who you think will benefit from this information.
- "Like" my Facebook Page here.
- Extra entry if you comment below letting me know if you've tried any of these cleaners before!
Winner will be selected at random.
Winner will be announced on Wednesday, April 5th on Instagram!